From winning national Moot Court competitions as a law student, to arguing before the U.S. Supreme Court, Terry Campo can formulate arguments that get your case heard. Litigation is an element of each of the Law Offices of Terry T. Campo’s areas of practice. Below are some additional examples of Terry Campo’s years of appellate work.
Representative Appellate Work
- Empress Casino Joliet Corporation, et. al. v. Giannoulis, Illinois State Treasurer (U.S. Supreme Court Docket Case 08-945). Represented the Illinois Alliance for Growth and Americans for Tax Reform in Amicus Brief urging re-consideration of Kelo implications of surtax imposed on one category of gaming-licenses to subsidize the upgrade of facilities at privately-operated horse racing tracks. This case evolved into one of the grounds for the Impeachment of Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich when FBI wiretaps revealed he had demanded a bribe from the subsidized-licensees for signing the Bill into law. On December 8, 2014, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois awarded $78 Million in the associated Civil RICO suit involving conspiracy by one of the businesses with the Governor of Illinois.
- Briefed the Deputy Attorney General of the United States on the Department of Energy’s views on Texaco’s tortious interference in Pennzoil’s acquisition of Getty Oil, in advance of his determining the government’s position on the jurisdictional issues for its U.S. Supreme Court amicus brief in Texaco v. Pennzoil.
- Oversaw development the Department of Energy’s position for the amicus brief of the United States in U.S. Supreme Court case challenging authority of a state to regulate the profit-margin of gasoline distributors, in Puerto Rico Department of Consumer Affairs v. Isla Petroleum Corporation, et. al.
- Served as the legal advisor and member of the Ad Hoc Committee on Stripper Well Expenditures, the working group charged with the implementation of the omnibus Settlement Agreement in In Re Stripper Well Exemption Litigation, (D. Kan.). The case involved more than $2 billion in claims resulting from price controls on certain categories of crude oil that had existed between the imposition of Wage & Price Controls in 1971 and their decontrol by President Reagan, and settled a number of outstanding legal issues that had arisen in enforcement of price controls.
- Oversaw all litigation for the independent Federal agency, ACTION. Several cases involved claims of union contract violations resulting from consolidation of agency’s regional offices and relocation of jobs.
- Participated in foreclosure of $1 billion federal loan guarantee for the Great Plains Coal Gasification project.
- In Re: the Marriage of Wilson Case (No. 93-D-946, IL App Ct 4th district). In this interstate child custody proceeding, the joint-custody of minor children that had been awarded by Arkansas courts was vacated by an Illinois Circuit Court when their mother unwittingly allowed their father to establish the children as state residents while the mother was relocating to Virginia for a job-promotion. Then, she submitted to Illinois jurisdiction by appearing pro se and allowing the deadline for a trial-court re-hearing to pass before finding counsel.
- Litigated before the Sangamon County (IL) Circuit Court and Elections Board on behalf of the chair of the “Black Caucus” of the Democratic Party in recount (1996).
- Authored complaint challenging the sufficiency of Presidential Nominating Petitions of Senator Robert Dole for rival candidate Steve Forbes.
- Represented State employee in claim that racial discrimination was a factor in promotions.
- Represented former Government official in distressed sale of real property due to illness.
- Established conservatorship over real and personal property of individual who had entered a coma and suffered severe brain damage after heart attack, without having established an advanced directive, power-of-attorney or will.
- Authored complaint and related interrogatories overturning foreclosure of client’s real property.
- Litigated challenge to default judgment issued in foreclosure proceeding and trustee sale against Citibank subsidiary.
- Initiated litigation against ministry serving immigrant community over sexual harassment of several parishioners when parent-organization ignored efforts to otherwise resolve, resulting in the diocese’s liquidation of ministry and deportation of priest.
- Litigated minor criminal proceedings in Sangamon County (IL) Circuit Court on behalf of indigents.
- Litigated multiple minor criminal proceedings in the District of Columbia on behalf of indigents.
- Represented criminal defendant against misdemeanor theft charges in the D.C. Court of Appeals.